One of the most revered horse races on the annual calendar is the Preakness Stakes, and this is your source for Preakness Stakes picks 2020. The race is run over 1 3/16 miles for three-year-old Thoroughbred horses and is worth $1 million. It takes place on October 3 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland. The 2020 Preakness post time is 5:36 pm Eastern.
|2020 Preakness Stakes odds|
Preakness Post Positions
The 2020 Preakness field, with Preakness jockeys and trainers, as well as the Preakness Stakes morning line odds, are as follows:
- 1. Excession: Steve Asmussen / Sheldon Russell 30 – 1
- 2. Mr. Big News: Bret Calhoun / Gabriel Saez 12 – 1
- 3. Art Collector: Tom Drury Jr / Brian Hernandez Jr. 5 – 2
- 4. Swiss Skydiver: Ken McPeek / Robby Albarado 6 – 1
- 5. Thousand Words: Bob Baffert / Florent Geroux 6 – 1
- 6. Jesus’ Team: Jose Francisco D’Angelo / Jevian Toledo 30 – 1
- 7. Ny Traffic: Saffie Joseph, Jr / Horacio Karamanos 15 – 1
- 8. Max Player: Steve Asmussen / Paco Lopez 15 – 1
- 9. Authentic: Bob Baffert / John Velazquez 9 – 5
- 10. Pneumatic: Steve Asmussen / Joe Bravo 20 – 1
- 11. Liveyourbeastlife: Jorge Abreu / Trevor McCarthy 30 – 1
Best Preakness Online Betting
Vegas Betting is your Go-to source of everything involved with sports betting. But how to actually bet on the Preakness Stakes online? Check out our comprehensive guide to online sportsbooks, all carefully reviewed and rated by us, for you! These racebooks will make the most of your money, giving you the best odds, value, and sign up bonuses. Make sure you have your account ready to go before it’s time to wager on the Preakness Stakes!
Fillies in the Preakness
In 2020, the filly Swiss Skydiver is attempting to become just the sixth female horse to win the Preakness Stakes. The last to do it was Hall of Famer Rachel Alexandra in 2009, who turned back Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird in the stretch to win the Preakness.
She was the first to do it in 85 years, and it would be quite special if Swiss Skydiver could also accomplish that feat.
Swiss Skydiver won the Grade 1 Alabama at Saratoga in August, and before that had won the Santa Anita Oaks (G2), Gulfstream Park Oaks (G2), Fantasy Stakes (G3), and run second in the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G2). She was pointing for the Kentucky Derby but ultimately ran second in the Kentucky Oaks (G1), defeating favored Gamine who was third. Ken McPeek trains the daughter of Daredevil.
All of the runners in the 2020 Preakness Stakes will be trying to defeat 2020 Kentucky Derby winner Authentic. Five for six lifetime, the son of Into Mischief is trained by Preakness-record-tying trainer Bob Baffert. Authentic’s lone loss was the 2020 Santa Anita Derby (G1) after missing some training time due to the pandemic, but he has since bounced back to win a pair of Grade 1 events including the Haskell. John Velazquez, who has won nearly every major race in North America, has yet to win a Preakness.
Art Collector is the main challenger aside from Swiss Skydiver. Art Collector is trained by little-known Tom Drury and is coming in off a five-race win streak. The son of 2006 Preakness winner Bernardini missed the Derby due to injury, but has quickly bounced back and is trying to prove he is the top horse in this crop. Brian Hernandez, Jr. will ride the bay colt.
Jesus’ Team leads the best of the longshots. He was third in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy at Saratoga last out, and although he was fourth against Authentic and Ny Traffic in the Haskell, he ran credibly and has improved since then. This former claimer is trained by Jose D’Angelo, and is by Tapiture.
Ny Traffic was the Derby horse for many handicappers after he ran Authentic to a nose in the Haskell. The gray son of Cross Traffic has a record of two wins in 10 starts but has been top three seven times, and his 2020 is much better than his 2019 record. He has been placed in graded stakes company in four of his last five starts.
Max Player was fifth in the Kentucky Derby after running third in both the Belmont and the Travers. That was his first start for two-time Preakness winning trainer Steve Asmussen. The 2020 Withers Stakes winner is by Honor Code and is out of a Not For Love mare, same as 2014 Preakness winner California Chrome. Pneumatic and Excession are the other two Asmussen trainees; Excession was second in the Grade 2 Rebel at 82-1 last out, and Pneumatic won the Pegasus at Monmouth Park after finishing fourth in the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes.
2020 Preakness Expert Picks
- $10 to Win/Place/Show on Swiss Skydiver and Art Collector
- $2 Exacta Box, Swiss Skydiver, Art Collector, and Authentic
- $1 Trifecta Box, Swiss Skydiver, Art Collector, Authentic, and Max Player
- $5 to show on Jesus’ Team and Pneumatic
2020 Preakness Undercard Picks
- Race 10 – $250,000 Black Eyed Susan Stakes – $10 to win on Bonny South
- Race 7 – $200,000 Frank J. DeFrancis Memorial Dash – $5 to win on Admiral Lynch
- Race 6 – $250,000 Dinner Party Stakes – $50 win on Factor This