One of the best horse races of the year is the Kentucky Oaks, with Kentucky Oaks 2020 betting an important event for all serious handicappers. The 1 1/8-mile race is for three-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs with a purse worth $1,250,000.
|2021 Kentucky Oaks odds|
Free Kentucky Oaks Picks
- $10 win on Swiss Skydiver
- $50 exacta box Swiss Skydiver and Gamine
- $5 show on Shedaresthedevil
- $1 trifecta box, Swiss Skydiver, Gamine, and Shedaresthedevil
Kentucky Oaks Predictions
The two big favorites are Gamine and Swiss Skydiver. Both have been almost unbeaten this year, and have faced the very best. Gamine was a $1.8 million purchase last year and has crossed the finish line first in all four of her races, including a pair of Grade 1s. But Swiss Skydiver has more experience and has proven herself at a longer distance, which Gamine hasn’t. Swiss Skydiver also trained at Churchill Downs longer than Gamine and may have a track edge.
Kentucky Oaks Handicapping
Swiss Skydiver is our selection to win the Kentucky Oaks over Gamine. But playing horses underneath that pair in exotic wagers is still an important way to have value on the day. Shedaresthedevil is 20-1 on the morning line despite coming off a big win in the Indiana Oaks (G3) at Indiana Grand last out. Trainer and jockey combo Brad Cox and Florent Geroux have already won this race together.
Another longshot with a lot of ability is Donna Veloce. 15-1 on the morning line, the daughter of Uncle Mo ran second by a head in the 2019 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1) in just her second start. She has since won a major Kentucky Oaks prep, but the knock against her is that she has not raced since March 8 and could be rusty. She has had a strong series of workouts for trainer Simon Callaghan.
Rounding out the top selections is Speech. Michael McCarthy trains the daughter of Mr Speaker, who won the Grade 1 Ashland at Keeneland in July and has been training steadily for this race since. She has lost to Swiss Skydiver in the past but looks to turn the tables here.
Kentucky Oaks Jockeys and Trainers
Four of the jockeys in the 2020 Kentucky Oaks have won the race before: Florent Geroux (2018), Javier Castellano (2016), John Velazquez (2004), and Rafael Bejarano (2010). As for the Kentucky Oaks trainers, Brad Cox won it in 2018, Bob Baffert in 2017, and Dallas Stewart won it in 2006 with the biggest Kentucky Oaks upset of all time: Lemons Forever.
Kentucky Oaks Entries and Odds
- 1. Swiss Skydiver (Tyler Gaffalione/Ken McPeek) (8-5)
- 2. Tempers Rising (Julien Leparoux/Dallas Stewart) (50-1)
- 3. Donna Veloce (Ricardo Santana, Jr/Simon Callaghan) (15-1)
- 4. Speech (Javier Castellano/Michael McCarthy) (5-1)
- 5. Gamine (John Velazquez/Bob Baffert) (Even)
- 6. Bayerness (Rafael Bejarano/Cherie DeVaux) (50-1)
- 7. Shedaresthedevil (Florent Geroux/Brad Cox) (20-1)
- 8. Hopeful Growth (Manny Franco/A R Margotta, Jr) (30-1)
- 9. Dream Marie (Joe Talamo/M J Williams) (50-1)
Kentucky Oaks Day Picks
- Eight Belles Stakes (G2): $10 win on Four Graces
- Edgewood Stakes (G2): $20 win on Sharing
- Alysheba Stakes (G2): $20 win on McKinzie
- La Troienne (G1): $50 win on Monomoy Girl
See below the top online betting sites where you can wager online and choose the best one for you: